CNC Molds N Stuff is the Premier Custom Mold Maker for The Small Tackle Makers of the World

CNC Molds N Stuff is who makes the page possible. Dedicated to getting custom molds done quicker. Adding unique original off the shelf designs as well. CNC Molds N Stuff - Makes This Website Possible
Have a new idea for a swimbait?  Figured out the perfect new jig design?
Want to design a whole line of molds for your new bait company? 
CNC Molds N Stuff
can help.  How about other things?  That why it says N STUFF.
ORDER YOURS TODAY
Wear it proudly to your next tournament.
Embroidered  Logo Cap   ==>

Custom embroidered CNC Molds N Stuff logo truckers cap.

* Social Login

Author Topic: Playing With a Resin Bait Mold Idea.  (Read 881 times)

Bob La Londe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Playing With a Resin Bait Mold Idea.
« on: November 28, 2017, 12:16:59 PM »

I've got some details to work out, and a few features I want to add, but I'll probably cut a mold for something like this in the next few days.  I've got resin and supplies enroute to test it with. 

Click thumbnails below for a larger view.

Bob La Londe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Playing With a Resin Bait Mold Idea.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 05:46:50 PM »
Getting Closer:  Seems like every little thing is being a chore.  May get it tested tomorrow.  Here is the mold and the wire form bending jig. 

Bob La Londe

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Playing With a Resin Bait Mold Idea.
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 09:55:22 AM »
I've made a few changes.  The gate has to be much larger for resin with microspheres to fill the mold nicely.  Microspheres are necessary to make the bait buoyant.  However, buoyancy is not necessary to make a good bait.  No kidding.  One of the first good crankbaits I got from these molds was non buoyant with an 1/8 oz ballast weight.  It fishes nicely and it hunts.  I have since made some with about 50-60% microspheres by volume and a 1/16 ballast weight.  They float nicely, and balance well with a #6 feathered treble hook.  With a #2 hook they float tail down, but still fish ok. 

I tried the method described by one of the vendors of using some powdered colorant to coat the inside of the mold before casting.  Maybe somebody can do this, but I can't.  I just got a blurry mess.  I think painting and clear coating is going to be the way to go with resin cranks. 

This one uses a commercially mass produced bill I bought from one of the bait making parts suppliers.  I think future models will use a bill I make myself on the little CNC router.  Probably throw a thin sheet of polycarbonate on the table, and cut them out in batches leaving them attached to the sheet by a few tabs that can easily be cut and sanded smooth. 

I've got 3 crank designs in mind to make and two or three topwater designs in mind. 

The best resin so far has been Smooth-On 305.  I have also tried Smooth-On 320 and Alumi-Res RC3.  The 320 and the RC3 have very short pot life and only a 10 minute demold time.  The 320 is a lower viscosity, but it didn't hep with the mcirosphere castings as much as I would have liked.  The 305 has a little longer pot life and about 30 minute demold time.  Personally I'll probably go with the 305 when I reorder.  A longer demold time is a fair trade off for more working time and better castings.